Home   Contact Us
 Biercafé   FAQ   Zoeken   Gebruikerslijst   Registreer   Profiel   Log in om je priv berichten te bekijken   Inloggen 
HET  discussiecafé  over  Belgisch  Bier  op  het  internet
*Het zythos bestuur is geen verpersoonlijking van de inhoud van dit forum

Een open brief van een vervelend manneke

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Het Virtueel Biercafé Forum Index -> ZBF-News
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
jorisP
Stamgast
Stamgast

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Jun 05, 2012 2:04 pm    Onderwerp: Een open brief van een vervelend manneke Reageer met quote

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE COUNCILS OF EBCU AND ZYTHOS

(Sorry, voor internationaal gebruik in de taal van Shakespeare)

Dear friends,

Last March, EBCU deemed it necessary to establish a document, named Beer on the Internet, by which in fact, ratingsites, such as Ratebeer, BeerAdvocate and more of that ilk were implemented. Starting rather positive, the document then proved to be a dire warning about the manner and consequences of this way of rating beers. Not being a working member of EBCU any longer, I was taken unawares of this, and had to learn about its existence, via, indeed, the internet.

Now it may be utterly clear that EBCU as anybody else has every freedom to utter its views on anything concerning beer just as I do when I rate on Ratebeer, or when I write this letter. So, I take note of their point of view, remark that it is not totally in accordance with my own, but again, that is perfectly alright.

What, however, is far from alright, is that one of its member organizations, Zythos in particular, does things that are completely at odds with the official point of view of EBCU in this manner. And that, dear friends, is something I cannot stomach.

I am, of course, talking about the ZBF Consumententrofee (Trophy of the Consumer, awarded after collecting the forms, filled in by any customer interested, on the annual Zythos Beerfestival, ZBF). It is supposed to award the best beer of the festival. With 96 brewers, each with at least 2 beers, the bill is readily made No sane visitor Danish or otherwise (sorry, internal Ratebeer joke) will be able to taste all of those beers during the two day festival. But that is a general remark, which ought to be perfectly clear to anybody concerned. Let us view the EBCU warnings, concerning the sites in detail, and assay them to what is done at ZBF.

- the main one (reason of concern, notw) being that the tasting to determine a rating are not done blind. The taster already knows which beer he or she is tasting and so may have preconceived views on the beer
Ah. And of course, all those ZBF visitors are utterly blank minds as to the beers, I suppose?

Although two beers with the same name may be rated by different tasters it does not necessarily
mean it is the same beer. It may be different because:
The beer could have a different recipe brewers regularly tweak recipes.
The beer can have been stored in different packaging i.e. bottle, can, keg, cask
The beer could have been stored for different lengths of time. A beer stored for a month will have a different taste than one stored for one year.
The beer can have been badly stored. Compare a beer stored in a cool dark cellar versus a beer stored on a sunlit store shelf.
The beer could have been served through unclean lines.
The beer may have been served in an inappropriate way e.g. through a hand pump when it should have been served with CO2 pressure or served with CO2 pressure when it should have been served via hand pump or by gravity.

The above is the task of the brewery, so here ZBF ought to score well in comparison to the sites, agreed.
 The quality of the beer is also influenced by the quality of the used ingredients, which are likely different from year to year (different hop crop).
Seen that the award is annual, another one that cannot be faulted at ZBF. But now we start again.

Also: there may often be a competition between raters to have and comment on the most rare, the most extreme, the most exclusive beer. Those beers are likely to get a high rating. Perfectly brewed and perfectly tasting session beers which are usually not extreme in character are therefore unlikely to appear anywhere in the higher areas of these ratings.
Yep. And of course, the casual ZBF punter wouldnt dream of asking for the strongest one, and find it definitely the best, and never a spiritcask-lagered beer could dream of obtaining the trophy. Oh wait, that last has happened already

Anyone, including those that are more ignorant about beer can give his or her opinion. There are numerous examples where inaccurate descriptions are given by tasters i.e. stating that there is too much coriander when no coriander has been used, claiming that the beer is foamless when it should have a good head and has been served in a dirty glass. Comments such as these can be damaging for the reputation of a beer especially if there are only a limited number of ratings for the beer.

Begging your pardon??? Oh, so all the visitors at ZBF are knowledgeable professionals, that will never give their opinion on something they know pardon my French sh*t about? And as to those inaccurate descriptions The ZBF award doesnt even require descriptions, so the N1 on a given form, might well be ranked because of its magnificent ruby colour And the example of the corianderflavour is probably the worst EBCU could have chosen: out of experience I know that there are yeasts that procure, at least to some beers, a flavour that is pretty similar to coriander, even when no coriander has come near the beer
And then the dirty glass!!! I concede that I have not been at/seen the Leuven ZBF, but the former ones at St. Niklaas sometimes had the most pitiful glass-washing facilities. And walking around with a tasting glass for hours, in the mean time having eaten fatty hamburgers, pizzas or frites, is of course creating the most perfect environment for headforming qualities in a beer. Only the last sentence is again in favour of ZBF, as a beer that was tasted by only a handful is unlikely to get the award. At the behalf of EBCU, however: what do you prefer, no info at all on a beer (except for some commercial blurb, perhaps) or a handful of - maybe flawed - comments?

If a beer is generally regarded as being good or is rare often it will be given a strong rating.

Excuse my pigheadedness, but that is a repeat point from the above, and so is my comment on it.

And finally:
In summary whilst you may have the wisdom of the masses, objectivity should be the key and this is something that is sadly lacking for some (parts) of these rating websites.
To start on the comment, the wisdom of the masses is a contradiction in terms, such as military intelligence. In fact, if ZBF had enough visitors, Jupiler would win every year. And to return to the ZBF award itself, the masses give away this trophy, and objectivity is about the last they will care about.

I could go on for much longer, but I think my point is made. I look forward to a strong condemnation by EBCU on the prolonging of the ZBF Consumers Award. If not, I urge EBCU to rephrase its views on the ratingwebsites, with a tad more circumspection.

Yours truly
the ever controversial Joris P. Pattyn, MGBJ
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur priv bericht
liefhebber
Stamgast
Stamgast

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Jun 05, 2012 4:10 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ik heb mijn bedenkingen bij de consumententrofee maar nog vl meer bij de ratings op websites ...
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur priv bericht
Dennoman
Stamgast
Stamgast

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Jun 05, 2012 5:07 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Op zich vind ik het wel vreemd dat er kennelijk alleen bij bieren wordt verwacht dat er "objectief" wordt gerecenseerd. Als je als journalist een film van een bepaalde regisseur of een boek van een bepaalde schrijver moet recenseren, is er toch ook sprake van een zekere vooringenomenheid soms?

Het enige wat die mensen kunnen doen, is zo goed mogelijk hun geest openzetten en de preconcepties laten varen, al zal dat waarschijnlijk nooit 100% lukken. Verwachtingspatronen zijn een belangrijk sociologisch gegeven, en ik ben niet de mening aangedaan dat dat bij bier plots anders zou moeten zijn.

Daarom is het internet ook een vrij platform, hoewel het uiteraard ook vaak de spuigaten kan uitlopen. Maar ja, wat moet je dan zeggen als n of andere gerenommeerde biersommelier Leffe gaat uitroepen tot het beste sinds gesneden brood? Is dat dan een objectieve kwaliteitsnorm waar wij leken niks tegen kunnen inbrengen?

Het enige wat ik tegen RateBeer heb is dat er meer naar exclusiviteit van het bier wordt gekeken dan wat anders (hoewel de seizoensflessen van The Bruery ongetwijfeld ook wel heerlijke bieren zullen zijn) en dat het n grote ongenuanceerde "circle jerk" is tussen Amerikaanse microbrouwerijen, maar goed, dat is ook enigszins naast de kwestie.
Mark
Tooghanger
Tooghanger

BerichtGeplaatst: Di Jun 05, 2012 5:10 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Tijdens de confederatievergaderingen van Zythos in september 2011 en maart 2012 werd inderdaad het onderwerp aangesneden van richtlijnen van EBCU. Maar ik moet bekennen dat ik meende begrepen te hebben dat dit gericht was naar bepaalde bierwedstrijden, waar bieren gecontroleerd worden op smaak en kwaliteit door een professionele jury; in een zoektocht dus naar het meest kwalitatieve bier, en dus niet -zoals de consumententrofee- naar het meest gewaarde bier door een gemengd publiek dat zowel uit kenners en leken bestaat.
Maar blijkbaar gaat het hier om iets anders? Het bewuste document "Beer on the Internet", dat ook naar rating sites is bestemd, is me vreemd.
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur priv bericht Bekijk de homepage
Manuel
Tooghanger
Tooghanger

BerichtGeplaatst: Wo Jun 06, 2012 7:40 am    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Omdat ik geen betrokken partij ben, vroeg ik me af of ik wel moest reageren. Maar soms is het toch zo moeilijk om de vingers stil te houden.

Los van mijn persoonlijke mening over de consumententrofee hou ik niet erg van dit soort van communicatie. Joris, ik begrijp dat dit in een groter geheel gekaderd moet worden: de kritiek op Ratebeer en de wedstrijden waarvoor je geregeld in de jury zit. Toch blijf ik dit overkill vinden.

Als die consumententrofee je echt zo hoog zit, spreek het festivalteam dan rechtstreeks aan met je argumenten. Of post voor mijn part je brief in eerste instantie alleen hier. Je weet dat dit forum ook bezocht wordt door festivalteamleden. Zo'n internationale lezersbrief lijkt me net iets te veel op het bij de directeur gaan klikken dat een vriendje op de koer kauwgom aan het kauwen is. Misschien nog meer op de publicatie van de misdaad in de schoolkrant.

De consumententrofee is in het geheel van het ZBF een miniem detail. Het heeft bijlange niet de impact van een Ratebeer-persbericht of een trofee op de World Beer Awards. Ik zie in het bericht over de consumententrofee ook nergens dat de Tripel Hop uitgeroepen is tot Beste bier van het festival. Dat is bij sommige andere organisaties wel anders.
Bovendien dreigt dit soort van oppositie het succes van het ZBF nieuwe stijl in de schaduw te stellen. Moet dat echt?

Mijn mening is niet belangrijker dan die van een ander, maar zouden we de bazooka's niet beter in de kazerne laten tot er grotere veldslagen uitgevochten moeten worden?

Manuel (met respect voor iedereen, maar met een eigen gedacht)
fabes fabel
Tooghanger
Tooghanger

BerichtGeplaatst: Ma Sep 10, 2012 1:48 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Wanneer een journalist (toch iemand die iets afweet binnen zijn vakgebied) een recentie schrijft vind ik zijn bevindingen objectiever dan de mening van een hoop zatteriken op het einde van een bacchanaal die nog rap vanuit hun behersende nevels een papierken invullen.
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur priv bericht Verstuur mail
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Het Virtueel Biercafé Forum Index -> ZBF-News Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: