Home   Contact Us
 Biercafé   FAQ   Zoeken   Gebruikerslijst   Registreer   Profiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijken   Inloggen 
HET  discussiecafé  over  Belgisch  Bier  op  het  internet
*Het zythos bestuur is geen verpersoonlijking van de inhoud van dit forum

Carbonation bombs armed and triggered to blow

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Het Virtueel Biercafé Forum Index -> Prikbord
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Donnieclark

BerichtGeplaatst: Ma Okt 30, 2017 10:57 am    Onderwerp: Carbonation bombs armed and triggered to blow Reageer met quote

Everytime I open a bottle from my last batch, it's like sticking a Mentos into a liter of Coke. I've got to do it in the sink or I'm going to have a mess all over the place. In addition, almost half the beer in the bottle usually goes down the drain in the form of foam. No off flavors or smells detected yet. I think I have some ideas what happened, but I'd like get you all to weigh in on it. I actually made two batches, both for a homebrew competition. First batch included combination of mash and extract, and adding 24 oz of molasses after boil. It was in primary for 9 days and secondary for 13 days. One cup maple syru and 3/4 cup priming sugar added at bottling. I thought I had screwed up and contaminated the first batch during racking. So, I rushed to make another batch before the competition deadline. It was essentially the same except there was a single substitution in the grain list because LHBS ran out. I added molasses, maple syrup, and priming sugar as before. It was in primary for 9 days and secondary or 6 days (essentially half the total time), and my hydrometer readings were all wackadoodle compared to the first batch. I had no choice to start bottling the batch before the entry deadline. First batch's bottles have good carbonation and awesome head, but no foam gushers. Was it mistake to add priming sugar and maple syrup at bottling? Or, should I have just let the second batch stay in the secondary longer? And, is there anything I can do to mitigate the gushing when I open the bottles? Or should I just resign myself to have a mop handy?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=637770

motion graphics videos
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
ambibrew
Tooghanger
Tooghanger

BerichtGeplaatst: Ma Okt 30, 2017 5:03 pm    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Some people here write better English than me, but I'll have a try.

There are two main reasons why you can have gushers when te taste and flavours of the beer are good:
1. too much sugar at the time of bottling;
2. pollution in your bottles.

If your fermentation was too short, not all sugars are converted. When you add extra sugar for bottling, the result is a bomb...
In fact you can add any sugar by bottling, but personally I have no good results using anything that is not just sugar. Other things like honey or maplesyrup are hard to mesure.
6 to 7 grams of sugar for 1 litre is sufficient.

On the other hand, any form of pollution in your bottle can result in gushing. Too much dead yeastcells in your bottle are a form of pollution.

Sometimes it helps when you put te bottles in the freezer for a while before opening. But always be carefull, exploding bottles can be quite dangerous.
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Het Virtueel Biercafé Forum Index -> Prikbord Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: